How Could Leaders Engage Their Teams
Are your employees really engaged? How do you know? What are the factors that affect engagement and how do you define engagement in the first place?
If you are an average organization only 33% of your employees are engaged in their work. The rest will be actively disengaged, and the majority of 52% are just showing up for work but they wish they don’t according to a Gallup survey.1
Employee engagement can be defined as a workplace approach resulting in the right conditions for all members of an organization to give their best each day, committed to their organization’s goals and values, motivated to contribute to organizational success, with an enhanced sense of their own well-being.2
An engaged employee is getting up in the morning thinking “A great day is waiting for me at work. I have some important stuff to do, and I have some great ideas that I use at my work today. I'm excited to meet my team and help them so we can all contribute to the success of each other and the success of our company.2
Employee engagement factors
Employee engagement is a loose word. A lot of factors can affect employee engagement positively and negatively but what are the most important factors among them all?
Many senior leaders are often looking for what they believe to be a “quick fix” for employee engagement, such as reward systems, happy hours, and other perks. However, thorough research was done by Quantum Workplace identified Top 10 Drivers of Engagement which are:3
- My job allows me to utilize my strengths.
- I trust our senior leaders to lead the company to future success.
- I believe this organization will be successful in the future.
- I find my job interesting and challenging.
- The senior leaders of the organization value people as their most important resource.
- My opinions seem to count at work.
- If I contribute to the organization’s success, I know I will be recognized.
- I see professional growth and career development opportunities for myself in this organization.
- The senior leaders of this organization demonstrate integrity.
- I have the information I need to do my job well.
1 Society for Human Resource Management, accessed 2 Feb 2021,
2Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, accessed 2 Feb 2021,
3Quantum workplace 2020, accessed 2 Feb 2021,
For more about this topic, download our latest book "Engage Your Employees in Valentine's Day" for FREE: